Important: Smart Materials only work in Toolbag’s Texture Projects. They are not compatible as materials added to the Materials window.
What are Smart Materials? #
Smart Materials are a preset stack of Texture Project layers. When dropped into the layer stack of a Texture Project, the effects of Smart Material layers adapt and conform to the unique shape and surface qualities of any mesh linked to that Texture Project’s material(s).
Using Smart Materials #
- Navigate to the Smart Materials folder of the Library and select your asset.
- Drag and drop a Smart Material onto the Layers window of your texture project.
- Adjust any layer settings to suit your desired effect.
Saving Custom Smart Materials #
- Select the Layers window of the relevant texture project.
- Right-click and hit Save As Smart Material, or drag the layers into the Library window.
- A Smart Materials Properties window will appear and provide description fields to fill out.
Note: Paint Layers in a texture project will not be saved into a Smart Material due to that layer type’s dependency on a mesh’s unique UV layout.