Table of Contents
Release Date #
January 23rd, 2023
4.054 Hotfix #
February 13th, 2023
Bug Fixes #
- Fixed a crash when baking light maps without a high poly mesh.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when attempting to bake with hundreds of high/low poly mesh objects.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when pasting an object onto the root object in the scene list.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when dragging or hovering over gradient points and deleting the gradient layer.
- Dragging a material that is assigned to a texture project to the canvas window no longer causes a crash.
- Gradient color values are stored correctly again after editing.
- Gradient values are now created with the correct initial color when clicking on the gradient preview GUI to create a new point.
- Fill layers set to black no longer get reset to white when reopening the scene.
- Disabled input maps in texture projects no longer lose their on undo.
- Updating one of many meshes on disk no longer causes the baker to reload all meshes.
4.053 Hotfix #
January 26th, 2023
Bug Fixes #
- Fixed a frequent crash in paint projects
- Fixed broken Viewer export python method
- Fixed a bug with “Fast” texture project rendering and masks
- Improved system stats logging for macOS
4.05 Changelog #
January 23rd, 2023
New Features & Improvements
- Up to 10x performance improvement in complex texture projects with many layers.
- Memory use has been improved significantly for complex texture projects.
- Symmetry can be used to mirror brush strokes.
- Mirror and radial arrays are supported
- Added a tool to align the axis of symmetry to mesh objects and geometry features (edges, vertices, and faces)
- V cycles through symmetry modes
- Shift + V cycles through axes
- Stencils can be arranged in the viewport to mask painting tools.
- Stencil images can be manipulated by adjusting brightness, contrast, blur and fade.
- Z toggles stencils
- Z + LMB: rotate stencil (hold Shift to snap)
- Z + MMB: pans stencil
- Z + RMB: zoom stencil
- Lazy mouse can be used to easily paint smooth curves with the brush tool.
- The blur layer type now has a seamless mode that enables blurring over UV seams.
- Improved the quality of the in-effect blur for processor layers like curvature, dirt, scratch, etc.
- We’ve added a height processor to create masks from height input maps.
- When linking a material to a texture project, the material’s textures are now loaded as input maps.
- You can now right-click on a material to create a new texture project from it, which automatically loads the material’s textures as input maps.
- It is now possible to Shift-click on a layer’s mask to temporarily disable it.
- You can now middle-click on Fill layer thumbnails to bring up the color picker and quickly recolor them without selecting the layer. This will bring up the color picker for the map type currently set in the layers window.
- Groups now have a Pass-Through blending mode option, which is enabled by default.
- Dragging an image from the library to the mask stack will now add a new Fill layer or replace the contents of a Fill layer if dropped directly on one.
- A preview is now drawn for each texture project in the layers window when no project is selected.
- The brush preview GUI has been reworked.
- A pixel grid display is now visible when zooming in.
- Gaps in the preview have been fixed when using sticker projection mode.
- The brush tool’s size can now be set to values smaller than 1.0 to create single-pixel brush strokes in high resolution projects.
- It is now possible to click-and-drag in the Active Maps panel to enable/disable multiple maps.
- New shortcut: Shift + , and Shift + . now cycles the currently selected map in the Layers window.
- New shortcut: M now resets the rendering mode to Full Quality for the active viewport.
- It is now possible to to right-click on a layer and reset its tool settings.
- Newly added paint layers now use default settings for tools rather than inherit from the previous layer.
- It is now possible to drag layers of your texture project, and materials and smart materials from the Library, onto the Canvas viewport to mask them via material ID.
- Transform defaults are now restored when resetting the default settings for procedural layers.
- Preview Resolution is now set to 1:2 for new texture projects, improving interactive performance.
- Tri-planar and 3D projection now applies to the bind pose or frame 0 for animated meshes, allowing more reliable texturing of animated meshes and meshes associated with texture projects to be placed in turntable objects.
- Custom colors are now saved in the color picker between sessions.
- Materials with maps that are fed from texture projects now more clearly show their status and are no longer able to be deleted or replaced with images on disk.
- Displacement and parallax are now removed from the linked material if the displacement map is removed from the texture project configuration.
- Dragging layers in various different ways retains the layer order.
- Ungrouping layers in a mask stack will no longer delete the contents of the group.
- Planar projection now respects the texture tiling value set in reference materials.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the brush preview to disappear when using orthographic cameras.
- Changing the subdivision level on an associated mesh no longer resets displacement mapping.
- Texture projects will now automatically update when Input Maps change on disk.
- Image output now writes the correct bit-depth and color type with all file formats.
- The tiling link button in projection settings now shows the correct state when switching between layers.
- Smart materials with emissive content that are imported from disk now draw the correct thumbnail.
- Fixed a bug that caused excess memory use when working with Gradient Map layers.
- Meshes with bad UVs should no longer cause a crash when they are associated with a Texture Project.
- Hitting Ctrl+Z while painting should no longer cause a crash.
- Pasting a texture into the texture boxes in the Dirt and Scratches layer types now sets the correct visibility state.
- Deleting all map types from a texture project will now show a dedicated label type instead of roughness.
- Normal map panel is now hidden in adjustment layer types that are not able to modify normal content.
- Textures projects with Preview Resolution set to less than 1:1 now draw at full resolution on scene load.
- Texture projects no longer draw at Preview Resolution unnecessary when performing various actions like selecting texture projects or undo/redo.
- The random seed setting in the cellular layer type now works properly in UV mode.
- The clouds layer type no longer produces banding artifacts.
- Fixed a bug that could result in unreliable UI interaction when switching between texture projects.
- Fixed a bug that caused opacity to be incorrect with normal maps for layers in groups.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the active map state to be incorrect when dragging layers to and from the mask stack.
- Undoing a change to the texture visibility in a material linked to a texture project should no longer cause a corrupt history state.
- Duplicating a texture project now retains the linked material assignments in the original project.
- Fixed a bug that would prevent layers from being duplicated after duplicating a texture project.
- Dragging a material or smart material into the viewport will now show the material ID preview even if the viewport display mode is set to preview a texture map.
- Materials with transparency no longer back the alpha content into other maps such as albedo and now properly pass the transparency content to the transparency map.
- Fixed a bug when inverting various layer types that would produce an unexpected result because the invert was being applied before other settings.
- Fixed a crash when using the color picker and dragging the cursor outside of the gradient sample area.
- Fixed a crash that could trigger when adding or switching layers with the color picker active.
- Grayscale color picking with the off screen option now samples the expected color.
- Grayscale map types now consistently use the grayscale color picker mode.
- Textures that are used in various layers now update their recolor goal target when updated on disk, and retain the color if it’s a custom color.
- Fixed a crash when copying and pasting masks from one instance of Toolbag to another.
- The texture project map selector now draws with smaller icons if the list can not fit on screen.
- Fixed a crash that was caused by loading invalid file types as material references.
Rendering & Materials #
News Features & Improvements
- We’ve added a Glint reflection shader that creates sparkling flakes and is useful for mimicking car paint, snow, and other effects.
- The Refraction shader has been improved. Absorption and Density have been consolidated into a Depth setting that can be controlled with a texture map. The Scatter setting can be controlled with a texture map as well.
- We’ve added a number of new lighting render passes, including ambient occlusion and diffuse and specular passes with direct and indirect variations.
- We’ve added a new ray-traced ambient occlusion effect to the raster renderer for more realistic occlusion.
- It is now possible to adjust Highlights, Midtones, and Shadows in the camera object’s post effect settings. Clarity or local contrast is available as well.
- We’ve added support for Nvidia DLSS viewport upscaling. This can be configured per-viewport and will increase the framerate in complex scenes.
- Light color can now be set in Kelvin units by enabling the Temperature setting.
- Rendering performance has been improved with scenes that use multiple bounces in the ray tracing settings.
- The Denoise Strength slider now intelligently blends between the noisy and denoised result, retaining more detail and more effectively filtering fireflies or hotspots.
- Materials with rough, metallic surfaces now produce less noise.
- It is now possible to right-click camera object properties to reset post effect settings.
- Specular reflections in the raster rendering mode now match the ray tracer better, especially with rougher surfaces.
- Directional area light shadow blurriness now matches the ray traced shadows better, and is more consistent with different scene scale settings.
- The default sky has been updated.
- The quality of thumbnail previews has been improved.
- The maximum light count has been increased to 64 and scenes with more lights should no longer crash.
- Denoise blending is now disabled when denoise strength is 0.
- Seams are no longer visible on objects with multiple materials using Subsurface Scattering or Volumetric Scattering in the Ray Tracing rendering mode.
- The Wireframe option enabled in the settings for Final Composite render pass no longer renders on all render passes.
- Lens flare brightness is now modulated when using directional lights.
- Lens flares no longer show up with directional lights when the light is behind the camera.
- Lens flares now stretch out closer to the light source.
- Fixed a bug that could cause certain frames to be missed when exporting video sequences.
- Fixed a bug with Volumetric Scattering that caused a white tint.
- Viewport accumulation is now reset when changing the current frame in the Timeline window, this causes the render to update immediately rather than fade to the new frame.
- Fixed an issue that could cause light leaking when using the ray traced render mode.
- Fixed a problem with transparency in the ray trace renderer that was causing artifacts to show up in the alpha pass when using depth of field.
- Fixed a problem with transparency in the ray trace renderer that was causing artifacts where transparent planes intersect.
- Details from the sky background no longer show up in the alpha component when using ray traced features with the shadow catcher.
- Fixed a bug with animated material properties that could result in out of date information for the ray traced renderer.
- Skies that have a lot of contrast no longer produce backgrounds that are too bright. A number of skies have been updated in the Library to support this change.
- Fixed an issue with random bad pixels causing artifacts in high sample count renders.
- Fixed a bug that could cause faceted artifacts when disabling culling using certain material configurations.
New Features & Improvements
- Light baking has been reintroduced with Complete, Diffuse, Specular, and Indirect Lighting output types. Light bounces and denoising are now supported and configurable per output type.
- Improved the quality of ambient occlusion bakes around intersecting meshes.
- The baker now enforces its tangent space setting on its children before baking, fixing any mismatches between meshes with different tangent spaces.
- The baker now checks at bake time whether the same material is applied to the high and low poly meshes, and gives the high poly a unique material if they match.
- Baking with Smooth Cage enabled no longer crashes.
- The estimate offset function works again.
- Subdivision is now retained properly when meshes are reloaded through the quick loader.
- Preview material and map preview functionality has been restored when using the multi-layer PSD option.
- Fixed a bug that could cause random mesh elements to not render correctly to multi-layered PSD files.
- When prompting to select an output directory, it is no longer possible for the prompt to get stuck behind the main window.
- Vertex colors are now baked to albedo if vertex colors are enabled in the high poly material.
- When painting Skew or Offset maps, the area outside of the painted region should no longer fail to render.
- Selecting the low mesh group no longer creates a bad history state (this may solve misc undo bugs when interacting with the baker).
- Adjustments to cage opacity now save to the scene and create an undo state.
Mesh & Animation #
New Features & Improvements
- USD files are now supported for import and export. (USD support is currently in beta.)
- The mesh export process has been reworked and now all export types are available from a single export window – including Marmoset Viewer and scene bundles. This can be found in File -> Export.
- Mesh and UV memory use has been reduced which should provide improvements for handling complex scenes with dense meshes.
- Meshes are now cached when possible, which improves undo and redo times.
- Mesh subdivision is only updated when the mesh has changed, which improves undo and redo times.
- Selected meshes now display their UVs in the canvas window even if they are not associated with a texture project.
- The Y axis on the scale tool no longer scales objects in the wrong direction.
- Fixed an issue where meshes that were scaled too big could cause a corrupted state.
- Copying and pasting subdivision settings now correctly subdivides the mesh.
- Bitangents are now written correctly when exporting FBX files.
- Custom tangents are no longer supported for meshes, which resolves a few bugs.
- The wireframe now updates as expected when switching between different sub-division modes.
- Fixed a bug that could cause a bad undo state while altering mesh settings during animation playback.
- Long animation names now truncate properly in the current animation list.
- Fixed a bug that caused random vertices to be out of place in animations.
- Fixed a crash that could occur if material shading models were updated while the keyframe editor was visible.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when selecting a mesh with invalid geometry.
- Scene units are now handled consistently whether Use File Units is on or off.
Library & UI #
New Features & Improvements
- A Studio category has been added to the Skies folder, and a small selection of skies from Polyhaven.com are now included.
- It is now possible to overwrite existing assets when saving custom content to the library.
- Right-clicking on texture boxes now provides the option to open the location of the texture.
- Tabs which are sized too small to draw their contents now display an error message.
- Fixed a crash that resulted from a user trying to load an asset that has been moved in the Library when using a repository shared with other members of a team.
- Loading an incomplete asset from the Library will no longer cause a crash.
- Rapidly deleting and typing a new character in a text box will no longer miss characters.
- Setting a color filter to an asset that is currently downloading no longer causes a crash.
- Disabled spinners no longer respond to mouse drags.
- The file save dialog now displays the file type on Mac.
- Popping out windows in various cases should no longer progressively shrink the size of the window.
- Dragging the top of the window past the top of the screen on Mac will no longer change the size of the window.
- Windows behind will now gray out when the resource locator pops up on Mac.
- When resaving a scene from the Library, undo states are now cleared, resolving a bug with corrupt states.
- Thumbnails no longer flicker with certain combinations of filtering options.
- The scroll bar no longer locks up with certain combinations of filtering options.
- Pressing the […] button for User Files in the Preferences window no longer opens the wrong directory.
- Fixed a bug that would make it impossible to delete workspace tabs when special characters were used for the workspace name.
- Improved behavior when switching between workspaces for floating windows that are sized larger than the monitor area.
- Docking multiple library windows will no longer cause the tabs to be duplicated when switching workspaces.
- Fixed an issue on Mac that could prevent floating windows on secondary monitors to be resized.
- Fixed a bug that could cause menus to open in the wrong position if the taskbar is docked up top of the screen.
Scene & Misc #
New Features & Improvements
- The Revert Scene dialog has been reworded to clarify the choices.
- Updated the installation process to remove additional data, with options for removing user data like preferences and library downloads.
- The material thumbnail size slider now saves to each workspace.
- Clearing the template scene will no longer print an error that the scene can not be found on subsequent app launches.
- Fixed a bug that would cause EXR files saved in a specific format to crash the app.
- Copying an object’s settings and then deleting the object will no longer cause a crash.
- Resizing the divider in the Scene window no longer results in a state where locked objects can be edited.
- Fixed a bug that prevented other items in the viewport form being selected if a light with a large area was currently selected.
- Fixed a bug that could cause an object to jump up or down one position when dragging to rearrange in the scene list.
- Fixed a bug that could cause objects to reverse order when dragging to change position in the scene list.
- Fixed a bug that could create a bad undo state when rearranging the camera in the scene list.
New Features & Improvements
- It is now possible to specify which camera is used for Viewer exports.
- Quotation marks in the Title, Author, and Link boxes will no longer cause an initialization error when exporting Viewer scenes.
- Custom Sky background colors are now properly registered.
- Fixed a bug that caused inconsistent animation data between Toolbag and Viewer.
- Python3.dll is now included with the installer.
- Python packages are now fetched more reliably with the user’s installed copy of pip.
- togglePadding is now deprecated.
- Various minor python bug fixes.